This post may contain affiliate links. Read my whole disclosure here.
I’m pretty sure the kids will like this idea, not only because you’ll surprise them (and kids love surprises!), but also because it will mean they can stay up a little past their bedtime!
For this activity, you won’t need a specific list of supplies. You can prepare this surprise using things you have at home and adapt it to your child’s preferences.
Here are some supplies you could use:
- pillows and blankets (to create a cozy space)
- a flashlight (for reading in the dark)
- your child’s favorite drink or snack
- a book to read together
- a photo album with family photos (that is great for sharing old family memories)
- your child’s favorite stuffed animals
- fairy lights (to make your cozy space look even more inviting).
How to prepare the after dark surprise
- If possible, prepare the supplies you’ll need for the surprise during the day and put them in a box to have them at hand in the evening.
- Follow your family’s bedtime routine as usual until the kids are in bed.
- Prepare the surprise while the kids are in bed: create a cozy space, add lights, prepare a book or a photo album (and a flashlight), bring some drinks and snacks to enjoy together.
- When everything is ready, go to your kids and let them know you have a surprise for them. Invite them to the cozy space you prepared and enjoy some fun time together.
Here are some activities you can try:
- Read a book in the dark using a flashlight.
- Look through old photo albums and tell them stories from when they were younger.
- Share a few funny stories from your childhood with the kids and invite them to share their funny stories as well.
- Enjoy the snacks and drinks while taking turns sharing some of your favorite memories (favorite family memory, favorite vacation memory, favorite Christmas memory, favorite birthday memory, etc).
- Ask the kids what is one fun thing you could do together in the dark and follow their lead.
Enjoy and have fun!